.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Tim Brewster Sounds Kind Of Bitter

 In Florida, former Minnesota Golden Gophers football coach Tim Brewster is down there checking out some of the local talent along with fellow ex-coaches Mike Leach, Mark Mangino and Rich Rodriguez .

The Naples News got a hold of him and Brewster offered a few interesting nuggets.

“One of the worst rules NCAA has is not letting head coaches be out in the spring,” Brewster said. “The past few I wasn’t able to get out and that was disappointing because you can really learn a lot evaluating them in the spring time.”


I have to agree with that, since all states aren't holding football workouts in the spring and the ones that do you can't get any proper evaluation on them.

“I want to get back into coaching but I’m using this break to just take some time and take a deep breath,” Brewster said. “I poured my heart and soul into that situation in Minnesota and I was disappointed with how it ended. But I’m a positive guy and you’re not going to keep me down long. … It’s been a really great spring being around these high school kids and just appreciating the game again.”


Brewster may get back into college coaching on a lower level, but not at a Big Ten level. To me it sounded like ther was a little bitterness. Minnesota adminstrators should realize how hard it is to win there and attract major talent. Brewster did have a highly rated recruiting class in his first year there, but it just didn't work out.

He was 15-30 in four years and you are what your record says you are. But in his defense he is enthusiastic about football and has shown to be a good recruiter. I think he should have gotten another year, but I'm not the one making the decisions in Minnesota.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment