.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Flacco Calls The Jim Zorn Firing A Personal Attack

When a coach is fired it's usually an indictment on how the coaches planning or teachings translate to the playing field, not the players themselves. If so there would be a whole lot of professional athletes out of work. Like any Detroit Lions or Los Angeles Clippers team. Apparently Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco doesn't think so. Flacco is pretty angry about the firing of his quarterbacks coach and feels it's a personal attack on his performance.


"I'm not happy about it, and they know I'm not happy about it," the third-year quarterback said.

"I also feel like a little bit like I'm being attacked," Flacco said. "You fire the quarterback coach. Usually when your fire a position coach, it's because you're not really happy with how that position did. And when I look back on my season and our season as a team, I mean, we won 13 games. I felt like I had a pretty good year and you're firing the quarterback coach? It's kind of an attack on me, I feel like."


"I'm not going to be happy about it, for a long time," he said. "This year will be what it is. We're going to be successful this year. I would have just liked him to be a part of it. He would have liked to be a part of it. And I think it would have been good for him to be a part of it.


"I think Jim was a great coach, I think he was great for our team. I think he was great for me. That's how I feel about it."

Joe, if it were a personal attack against you, you would be cut today. It's not though and you shouldn't take it as such. I know that sometimes players and coaches form a bond and they work well together, and that's probably what happened in this case. Flacco and Zorn had that kind of bond. Being a former quarterback in the NFL, Zorn's teaching probably went over well with Flacco and he probably taught him more than I'll ever know about the sport. I guess the Ravens didn't feel the same way about Zorn as Flacco did. He was there for only one season so I figure there was room to grow.

My guess is that there had to be some philosophical difference between Zorn, head coach John Harbaugh, and offensive coordinator Cam Cameron. There was a seven hour meeting of the minds and Zorn was questioned about his handling of Flacco. Alledgedly Harbaugh is going to give more playcalling control to Cameron. Behind those closed doors there had to be some disagreement. Harbaugh probably should've asked Flacco how he felt about it and came to a conclusion. But that's not how it works in professional sports.

Flacco had one of his best years statistically, and this is what happens to one of the coaches responisble for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment